Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 13:12:16 +0200

Darshit Shah <darnir@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Are you sure about that one?
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/wikis/GNU-vs.-non-GNU
>>
>> wget2 is definitely a GNU program.
>> I'm CCing Darshit, the maintainer.
>>

> I am the maintainer of GNU Wget and Wget2 is the spiritual successor to
> Wget itself. It is not a new / different project. Wget2 is written as a

Thanks for the answer. No idea if there is a consideration to include
new library or not, I got impression from some other discussions on this
list, it is rather not.

I saw the wiki page about GNU vs Non GNU and the remark on the bottom of
the page about being Non GNU 2017, but I see you are using LGPL license.

For the technical side, no idea how libwget is comparable to
libcurl. About libcurl I know it is avialable included on Windows and
MacOS and avialable for probaly any GNU/Linux *BSD distro and it
supports lots of protocols, SSL implementations (GnuTLS, OpenSSL, NSS
etc) and has very good documentation including some published books.

I am sure libwget has its own merits too, I am just not familiar with
it, so I am not saying neither for or against.