Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 07:26:44 +0000

> Can Emacs have "experimental" and "stable" dev branches with the former
> being more open to "popular" changes? Then, people who wish a more
> "popular" approach can use the experimental branch without disturbing
> more conservative users. If features in experimental branch prove their
> usefulness and quality, they can be moved to the stable branch.

In some sense this exists with prepared configurations (or
"distributions" as some call them). The changes they can make are not
exactly the same as a "experimental" branch could, but they can do a lot
of superficial and organisational changes.

The issue there is that prepared configurations bundle a lot of options
together, so it is harder to evaluate what is popular and what the
maintainers of these projects prefer.

An idea I was playing around with for a while was to build a website to
generate Emacs configurations. You'd select what you like to use, what
you don't want, etc. and it would let you download an init.el
file. Optionally, the user could select to have their preferences
anonymously logged, for statistical purposes (comparable to Debian's
popcon). Of course the data could be manipulated easily, so it is
debatable how reliable it would be.

--
        Philip Kaludercic