Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:32:10 +0300

On 03.09.2021 15:27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
There, you have already a list of options to include in a suitably
named "profile".  Why not add that to Emacs right now?
What would it be called?
I don't know, but I don't think the name is the main issue.  The main
issue is to identify the settings many people would like to change,
then try to group them in some reasonable way.

It *is* an issue.

The problem with variables with indent-tabs-mode and require-final-newline is they affect Emacs's behavior in ways that aren't apparent to a new user, or to a beginner programmer. And then they can cause problems for the teammates who aren't even using Emacs.

Having a profile unassumingly called "Dmitry Gutov's Preferences" (who would want to enable THAT, right?), which would need to be enabled to avoid these issues, is a usability problem.