Could Emacs Have a Set-up Wizard?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Could Emacs Have a Set-up Wizard?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:59:58 +0200

[I changed the subject.]

Simon Pugnet <simon@polaris64.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is of interest but I just thought I'd throw this
> into the discussion:
> https://blog.polaris64.net/post/could-emacs-have-a-set-up-wizard/.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, the repository you link in the above blog post
now gives 404.  Could you provide a working link?

> I thought about a "wizard" which would help newcomers to choose from a
> set of profiles in a simple manner, and this blog post details a little
> proof-of-concept I came up with. The idea was that it would keep out of
> the way as much as possible so that existing users could easily ignore
> it or disable the entry on the splash screen if necessary, however it
> would still be prominent enough for newcomers to see it.

This is orthogonal to the discussion about profiles, but I agree that
it's a good idea.

There is a discussion about it here, and perhaps you can find more in
the archives:

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00601.html