Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 23:07:24 -0400

  > Others replied later that users generally expect 'redo' to require one
  > more modifier than 'undo'. In graphical Emacs, it can work out to having
  > 'C-/' call 'undo', then one can additionally hold down the Shift key to
  > the right of '/', calling 'redo' with the resulting 'C-?'.

If users are happy with that, I won't argue against it.  It doesn't have
any other problem.

We still have the problem of ttys.  We can't use C-/ or C-? on a tty
because each of them is the same character as DEL.  So we use C-_ instead
for undo.

Because there is no difference on a tty between C-_ and C--.
there is no way to disguinuish between Sh-C-- and C--.

However, C-M-- could be used for redo on ttys.

Does that make everyone happy?  If so, maybe we're ready to
introduce that binding.

Initially we should continue the current behavior of undo
to avoid an incompatible change, and have an option to enablke
the undo-redo behavior.  Once Emacs 28 is out, we could find out
what the users think and whether we old fogeys can adjust to undo-redo.
Then we could decide whether to make that the default.