Re: Variables for easy customization (was: Gitlab Migration)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variables for easy customization (was: Gitlab Migration)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 11:18:21 +0300

> From: Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>, philipk@posteo.net, yantar92@gmail.com,
>  lokedhs@gmail.com, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 11:02:20 +0300
>
> Starting simple, with the following four areas:

Thanks.  I've changed the Subject, as this is not really related to
Gitlab.

> Some questions:
>
> 1. Do we want to split the audience to writers and programmers because
>    it impacts the implementation and the messaging as well.

If the group's name makes it clear it's for programming, the audience
is clear.  I think in other cases, the target major mode(s) are a
better discriminator.  For example, "Editing Text" is better than "For
Writers".  But I didn't think too long about this.  Maybe we should
wait with this until we have a longer list.

> 2. Do we also install popular and relevant Elpa packages as part of the
>    profile setup or do we cross the line at variable setting? what about
>    keybindings?

I don't think we need to make this decision now.  If we decide to
include ELPA, that's additive, right?