Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:34:33 +0200

> Please go ahead.  When adding NEWS-worthy things, they generally land
> somewhere in the general section where they should be, not organised
> further than that.  (I try to see if there's something already in NEWS
> that's about the same package, and then create a sub-section for
> that...  but not methodically.)

Right.  My motivation for looking at this was basically that I've been
mostly inactive for a bit, and had to catch up, and that the next
Emacs release is approaching.

> > - Under "Incompatible Editing Changes" we have several items relating
> >   to specialized modes (f90-mode, nroff-mode, vc, project).  Do these
> >   entries belong under "Specialized Modes and Packages"?
>
> Uhm...  I think it makes sense to have the incompatible stuff in one
> section?  It makes it easy for people who only want to know what might
> have broken in their code.

Makes sense, and it seems like Eli agrees too.

> > - Under "Editing Changes" we have many things that doesn't seem like
> >   they belong there.  Should they be moved?  See the list below where
> >   I've marked things that we might want to move with "x".
>
> Hm...  where would you move them to?  "Changes in Emacs"?  I think most
> of the "x" things might live more comfortably there, perhaps?

Yup, that's where I'd put them, based on skimming the headers.  I'll
take a closer look, and if someone disagrees with my changes they
should feel free to move the entries again.