Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 23:08:24 +0200

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> I think this is an important one. My 'use case' for looking in NEWS is
>
> 1. See what has changed and may require that I review/update my
> configuration. I might read this before upgrading or immediately after.
> Being able to identify a specific section which alerts me to
> incompatible changes is important.

Yup, it seems like we all agree about keeping this section as is.

> 2. When I find something not working after an upgrade, I will look to
> see if some change may have occurred. For this use case, I tend to use
> C-s and search for specific keywords rather than general reading of the
> file. Anything which would help in this regard would be useful.

Thanks.  Your use-case is different from mine, which is to carefully
review the file from top to bottom.  (I understand that we can't
realistically expect most users to do that.)

I'm not sure what we could do to improve searching, but ideas are
welcome of course.