Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:17:52 +0200

> > ** 'open-gnutls-stream' now also accepts a ':coding' argument.
> > :DOC:
> > ** 'process-attributes' now works under OpenBSD, too.
> > :NODOC:
>
> We try to limit the headings to below 80 characters...  which typically
> means that a lot of them are almost exactly 80 characters.  :-)  So
> these tags will make the NEWS file less readable.

We could allow headlines to be 80 characters excluding the tag.

> The nice thing about having the tags on separate lines is that they
> disappear from the VC history.  If we're changing the lines when we do
> tagging, then it makes VC archaeology less convenient.

AFAICT, VC archeology is already not very convenient after we cut the
release branch and move the file from etc/NEWS to etc/NEWS.28.  One
would need to visit the relevant release branch first.

(As a Magit user, walking backwards in "git blame" history for one
line that hasn't moved is just a matter of typing "b" one or more
times.  I have no idea how easy this is using vc, but I've assumed
it's harder since people are concerned about it.)