Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 14:05:12 +0300

On 07.09.2021 07:44, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Richard Stallman<rms@gnu.org>  writes:

   > By the way, how much work would it be to switch C-x and M-x prefixes to
C-space and
   > M-space respectively.

We will not change C-x and M-x in the Emacs defaults,
nor C-SPC and M-SPC.  Those are important commands.

It is ok for a CUA theme to change them.
This is completely backwards.  It is precisely because it is important
that C-x should be changed.

It seems very improbable at this point to be able to get CUA bindings in the default config. And given that there are unsolved questions WRT prefixes, etc, I suggest we focus on the profile approach.

We can argue about making it the default later, when the profile has seen some use and had kinks ironed out.