Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 14:37:41 +0200

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 06:44:07AM +0200, Stefan Kangas wrote:
>> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> >   > By the way, how much work would it be to switch C-x and M-x prefixes
>> > to C-space and
>> >   > M-space respectively.
>> >
>> > We will not change C-x and M-x in the Emacs defaults,
>> > nor C-SPC and M-SPC.  Those are important commands.
>> >
>> > It is ok for a CUA theme to change them.
>>
>> This is completely backwards.  It is precisely because it is important
>> that C-x should be changed.
>
> Or forwards.
>
> What would the C committee say if I proposed to exchange ',' and ';' in the
> syntax?
>
> After all, my keyboard (a DE layout) needs a shift to access the semicolon,
> which I use much more in C code than the comma [1].
>
> I am a bit confused by this default thing, especially by this new incarnation
> of a "defaults war". Each time it feels like a turf war.
>
> OTOH, it is clear that defaults aren't carved in stone. On the other, it
> should be clear that defaults change slowly wherever there is an established
> community of users, and each one takes its process and its timing. It may
> take years, and a couple of proofs of concept.
>
> Tab-indent mode looks like low hanging fruit by now (but there have been
> voices against changing it which have to be taken seriously). I don't really
> see the point for C-x now, but hey, that's me.
I didn't propose to change C-x from the defaults. :D

I asked how difficult it would be to change prefixes C-x and M-x to something,
in hope that someone will tell me that there is a function that can switch
prefix so that all other keybindings are following. Not because I want a new
default in Emacs, but because it could be easy as a starting point for a so
called alternative setup :).