Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:11:30 +0300

> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, dgutov@yandex.ru, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, juri@linkov.net
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:56:42 +0200
>
>  > Comments, NEWS, PROBLEMS, DEBUG, commit log messages (thus the
>  > generated ChangeLog files), and any other form of plain-text
>  > documentation.
>
> and while I do not have the slightest problem with most of these I do
> not understand what should happen to code I comment out.  If code I
> intend to comment out contains a `...' should I automatically convert it
> to '...' or should I leave it alone?

My opinion is that if it's code that one day will be uncommented, it's
okay to leave the `...' alone.  But if we are sure this will likely
always be a comment, then yes, a conversion would be best.

> In the past I've been always trying hard to avoid the "anarchy" you
> mention above and I still would like to get it right in the things I
> write.

If people will follow the rules, it is indeed worth our while to
discuss them and make them detailed enough.