Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 08:56:42 +0200

>>   > I don't really see why people keep arguing, since everyone around here
>>   > uses the quoting they like anyway, disregarding the guidelines.  I see
>>   > `..', '..', and `..` all the time.  It's anarchy anyway, so why people
>>   > insist on arguing about something they won't follow anyway?  Just let
>>   > it go.
>>
>> I would like to follow the guidelines but I don't know where to find them.
>
> Why do you need to find them?  I just described them up-thread.  They
> are very simple.

I suppose you refer to your earlier

>> I'm not sure we ever agreed to standardize on straight quotes in Lisp
>> comments (as opposed to plain text files like NEWS).
>
> Comments, NEWS, PROBLEMS, DEBUG, commit log messages (thus the
> generated ChangeLog files), and any other form of plain-text
> documentation.

and while I do not have the slightest problem with most of these I do
not understand what should happen to code I comment out.  If code I
intend to comment out contains a `...' should I automatically convert it
to '...' or should I leave it alone?

I'd prefer a sentence like

  Comments (excluding doc-strings written as comments and code that has
  been "commented out"), NEWS, PROBLEMS, DEBUG, commit log messages
  (thus the generated ChangeLog files), and any other form of plain-text
  documentation.

In the past I've been always trying hard to avoid the "anarchy" you
mention above and I still would like to get it right in the things I
write.

martin