Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:37:24 +0300

On 16.09.2021 15:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I agree with using '...' in plain text files, like NEWS and PROBLEMS.

If this discussion indicates something it's that "plain text" is open
to interpretation, so if we will have a mandatory convention, we'd
need to come up with an explicit list.  E.g., NEWS and PROBLEMS are by
default in Outline mode, not in Text mode, so someone could claim they
aren't "plain text".

They are not program code. But they can have excerpts.

.el/.c files are not plain text files, they are source code files, and I
do not agree that we have to (or should) change the convention from
`...'  there.  At least not until we have fixed our tool chain to
respect '...'  in .el/.c files -- and if we decide to move to '...', we
should do so everywhere in those files: Both doc strings and comments.

Well, we already have hundreds of quotes 'like this' in both Lisp and
C files, so if highlighting that is a problem, let's work on that,
because reverting all those hundreds of quotes sounds like a lot of
code churn.  (Btw, C and Lisp are not the only programming languages
we use in Emacs sources, is the above valid for all the source files?)

Are you arguing toward having multiple standards or no standard at all?

I just did a search across .el files:

  rg --type lisp ';.*?[^=]\'[a-z][a-z_-]{6,}\''

results in 199 lines, a lot of which are "plain" quotations by themselves, e.g.

test/lisp/so-long-tests/so-long-tests.el:
364:  ;; is 'preserved' by default (using both options).
498:         ;; will validate the 'reverted' state against this.  (Note

or

lisp/vc/pcvs.el
85:;;    add support for parsing 'modules' file ("cvs co -c")
97:;; - write 'cvs-mode-admin' to do arbitrary 'cvs admin' commands

which don't require changing. Others refer to symbols but not global symbols (and thus don't benefit from code completion/navigation support so much), so not using proper markup could be excused.

Either way, that is less than 200 examples, easy enough to undo.

For comparison,

  rg --type lisp ';.*?[^=]`[a-z][a-z_-]{6,}\''

Reports 10691 lines.

I don't think the ` character is "ugly" -- that Markdown (for
instance) uses it for similar purposes (but as `...`) shows that
it's a character that people are comfortable with using in
semi-structured non-plain-text files like source code files.

We've had this argument, and I'd prefer not to have it again.
(Markdown is not really relevant because `...` does not display with
these characters.)

Where doesn't it display with these characters? In the source files? Yes it does.

But like Stefan K. said, we could choose font-lock rules to have them displayed however you want. That's not the issue.