Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 08:42:51 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:21:10 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, rudalics@gmx.at, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>       dgutov@yandex.ru, juri@linkov.net
>
> > We also move text between doc strings and the manual, or vice versa,
> > but no one will (I hope) suggest to use `..' instead of the Texinfo
> > markup and have arguments in uper-case, or vice versa.
>
> That's unavoidable though.

No, it isn't.  People who are proficient in Texinfo have no problem
reading Texinfo markup, so we could decide to leave it intact.  We
won't, of course, because the minor annoyance of adapting the text to
its environment is nothing compared to the other aspects.

> > Moving text sometimes requires to make small adjustments, and that's
> > not a catastrophe.
>
> Having to change quotes between docstrings and comments is not a
> catastrophe, but an annoyance and a fully avoidable one at that.

It's a minor annoyance that is well worth sustaining.  As we already
decided.