RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:19:47 +0000

> Well, we already have hundreds of quotes 'like this' in both Lisp and
> C files, so if highlighting that is a problem, let's work on that,
> because reverting all those hundreds of quotes sounds like a lot of
> code churn.

Speaking of Lisp files (I've no opinion about C etc.),
it was a waste of time (it was churn) to have purged
the files of `...' in the first place.

"Let's work on that" by reverting the misguided
(IMO) switch from `...' to '...'.

> > I don't think the ` character is "ugly" -- that Markdown (for
> > instance) uses it for similar purposes (but as `...`) shows that
> > it's a character that people are comfortable with using in
> > semi-structured non-plain-text files like source code files.
>
> We've had this argument, and I'd prefer not to have it again.

No need to repeat the argument - I agree.  Let's
just reverse the reversal - get back to using
`...'.

> And if we allow people to do what they want, then we have that
> already, so I see no reason to argue about conventions no one will
> follow.

People followed the `...' convention pretty well
for decades, no?  It's simple to type (vs curly),
simple to recognize/parse, simple to fontify,
simple to search for.  It's wonderful.

What's wrong with it?  Someone thinks it's ugly,
and people new to Emacs aren't used to it.