Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:07:17 +0300

Cc: rms@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, stefan@marxist.se,
  juri@linkov.net, rudalics@gmx.at, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:25:31 +0300

How many are "en masse"?  We have less than a dozen people claiming
they want `..' back, that's hardly a "masse" in my book.

I don't see anybody concur with your stance in this particular
discussion, and if you search the old one, I think it was mostly Paul
(?), and even he was really arguing toward something different, in a
different context as well (plain text files).

It doesn't matter.  This is a decision we already made, so just saying
you don't like it is not good enough.  We need a much stronger reason
to reverse previous decisions.

The cost of backtracking is low, so yes, if people even simply say "we don't like it", it should be changed.

I've listed particular reasons as well, but what does it matter: you ignore those parts of messages.

This one isn't, because we have been using it for many moons now.
Some of it is practically impossible to undo, because it's in Git
commit log messages.

Again, look at this discussion: nobody is disputing the format of log
messages.

Not true.

Nobody in *this discussion*. People being casually careless is nothing new, OTOH.

If you look at the commit log messages, even the latest
ones done today, you will see that almost everyone disputes that part.

This is orthogonal to this discussion. Please don't derail it.