Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:59:12 +0200

Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> writes:

>> It doesn't matter.  This is a decision we already made, so just
>> saying you don't like it is not good enough.  We need a much stronger
>> reason to reverse previous decisions.
>
> I might have missed something, but I think almost everyone else in
> this thread has expressed some degree of surprise/confusion that elisp
> comments would be categorised as "plain text" and/or the notion that
> the previous decision was ever intended to apply to those.

Just to add another data point: I didn't know the new convention and
always used `...' in elisp code comments because it felt like the right
way simply because it got highlighted and I had symbol-completion
enabled after typing the ` in a comment.  And I wouldn't have considered
code comments in elisp files to be in the came category of plain-text
documents like NEWS or ChangeLog.

I don't consider `...' to be ugly but in the end I don't care as long as
the style going to be used for quoting symbols in code comments is
supported by font-lock and completion.  In his regard, I do consider
`...' or the markdown-style `...` to be quite good because they are
seldomly used in prose or for emphasis in contrast to '...' reducing the
likelyhood of false-positives.

Bye,
Tassilo