Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:48:42 +0700

On Sat, 18 Sept 2021 at 15:27, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Not at all.  Both ‘ and ’ are slanted to the right, making it impossible
> > to distinguish backquote from quote.

> What kind of font slants ‘ to the right?

Pretty much all of them. Liberation Mono, to name just one.

There are fonts that render ‘ as a mirrored ’, but they are a minority.

> Why is that a reasonable rendering?

Because that’s how they were traditionally rendered with printing
presses, and handwritten before that.

> And how do you distinguish between ‘ and ’ with that font?

In many fonts, the opening quote looks like a comma turned 180° (tail
up and to the right) and raised to the top of the cell. The closing
quote looks like a comma (tail down and to the left) just raised. With
serif fonts, this is like small 6 and 9 shapes; with sans-serif fonts,
the tail is thinner than the start of stroke.

For me, the difference is quite visible even on a non-HiDPI display; I
disagree that they are impossible to distinguish.