RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:01:54 +0000

> > Both ‘ and ’ are slanted to the right, making it
> > impossible to distinguish backquote from quote.
>
> What kind of font slants ‘ to the right?  Why is that a reasonable
> rendering?  And how do you distinguish between ‘ and ’ with that font?

With some difficulty.  I zoom in.  And it's not
just some odd font.  The default font for plain
text in my mail client (Outlook) makes them
almost indistinguishable, for example.

. and , are also difficult to distinguish, for
the same reason.  But their usage in natural
language text (and in code often) typically
makes it unnecessary to pay close attention to
them visually.

You might say the same is true for ‘...’ in
Emacs, and that's no doubt true.  The
"recognition" difficulty introduced by this
step backward is less important than the other
problems I (and others) mentioned: search,
fontifying, and typing.

Even so, difficult recognition of ‘ vs ’ _is_
a problem.  It may not be bad enough that I
have to zoom in for most uses of ‘...’, but
when checking those chars in regexps etc. I
do zoom in (it's easy to zoom in, of course).