Re: Question about xref and adding "find all references" button to built

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Question about xref and adding "find all references" button to built-in help
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:02:05 +0300

On 21.09.2021 13:32, Arthur Miller wrote:

Or perhaps this feature will be mostly used by people who already have an Emacs
sources checked out anyway.
User have to have sources installed; I don't plan on parsing elc files, it was
more of a wild thought, but to get somthing going, user would need to have
sources installed in some way; compressed, uncompressed or dev sources. I don't
know though if I have to decompress sources myself or Emacs does that
auto. Nobody cared to answer any of questions I asked in the patch proposal for
the source inlined in help buffers.

When we're talking about find-definition, it might be already taken care of by find-func and tramp-archive (someone needs to test, though).

But as far as "find references" goes, we're scanning the sources with external programs. There is 'zgrep', but I'm not sure how to set up its automatic use best.

Ah, I see it now. You wanted to show the "Find all references" button printed by
Helpful.

Yeah. But without the button :). You were thinkng on the presentation of
results?

I figured that's what the screenshots were about.

For there I just meant a buffer with a list of links or buttons, I
don't know what else. Would there be some better option?

A button somewhere near the end might be a good idea. I don't know -- it's a fairly arbitrary choice that you could start with the rest of the work first, get it installed, and then post a question on emacs-devel (or wherever) whether people want to see the button as well.