Re: Question about xref and adding "find all references" button to built

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Question about xref and adding "find all references" button to built-in help
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 02:37:37 +0300

On 20.09.2021 23:52, Arthur Miller wrote:

That's just 'M-x xref-find-references'. Try it in an Elisp buffer.

The implementation is fairly simple: see 'xref-backend-references' in xref.el
and elisp-load-path-roots.

Thank you that was what I needed. I have tried it, will have to test and look
around a bit more.

For your own backend, you will probably not dispatch through project.el method,
and use load-path directly combined with package-user-dir. Maybe after pruning
it for entries that reside inside other entries.

Yes probably. I thought I could skip writing a backend; but i'll see.

I think it might be easier to defined a separate backend (say, called 'elisp-help), but go ahead and experiment.

But you probably want this to work in installed Emacs as well?
What do you mean by "installed Emacs"? Emacs without sources? Sorry, I just
woke
up, have to get that coffein going up :).

Without sources or with compressed sources.

Yes. Maybe it would be possible to search in elc files? I mean some functions
have opcodes, but more are called by name. But I meant just when sources are
avialable, when 'source-directory' is not nil.

I don't know. Searching compressed sources (after the user installs them) might be a closer goal.

Or perhaps this feature will be mostly used by people who already have an Emacs sources checked out anyway.

What about to just have a keyboard shortcuts; say 'R', instead of link. With
source code displayed it already looks a bit crouded. I think helpfuls buffer
looks a bit busy with all the links.
I could imagine living with just a shortcut and maybe a context menu item.

I don't really have an opinion on the UI part of this. It can be a button,
command, whatever.

I attached a screeshots of helpful and built-in help with my yserdays patch both
showing source code for the comparison.

UI for references and definitions will probably need to be different, no?

A whole ui? :) I just meant a key, like for sources of info view. Helpful has a
link, but I would like to skip the link.

Ah, I see it now. You wanted to show the "Find all references" button printed by Helpful.