Re: master 5b962a7: Avoid double argument evaluation in vc-call macro

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master 5b962a7: Avoid double argument evaluation in vc-call macro
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:51:48 +0100

Po Lu [2021-09-21 21:40 +0800] wrote:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Being curious: this sounds rather like a bug fix. Is this worth to be
>> mentioned in etc/NEWS?
>
> FWIW I remember the docstring containing something along the lines of:
> BEWARE!! FILE is evaluated twice!!
>
> While it personally doesn't affect me, it seems likely for there to be
> people who actually rely on this documented behaviour.  Is it really a
> good idea to change it so arbitrarily?

I think so.

No reasonable interpretation of "¡BEWARE! ¡IRREGULAR MACRO!" would
involve relying on this pitfall.  In most cases it would mean passing a
self-evaluating expression as the macro's second argument, to protect
against the irregularity.

Since it is trivial for users of vc-call to support both its current and
previous semantics, there is also little reason to worry about breaking
compatibility.

--
Basil