Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:17:23 -0400

  > The idea is to allow developers who don't want to break backwards
  > compatibility to use newer functionality that wasn't provided in older
  > versions of Emacs. This version tries to implement as much as possible
  > from Emacs 24.2 onwards.

Would you please state concretely what this package would do?

  > By its very nature it is an intrusive package, as it defines functions,
  > macros and advice outside of the "namespace", but I don't see any way
  > around that if transparent compatibility is to be provided (anything
  > else would just replicate dash, s, f, ...).

I have a plan to put those names into optional namespaces (using
symbol renaming) so that the entry points of those packages will
be visible only from packages that require specific libraries.

This plan might affect whether your intended feature is desirable or not.
I don't know whether it will do so.