Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 06:53:14 +0000

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> We can just start slowly and see whether any problems occur.
>
>> The main point here is to be able to put things that are in core into
>> ELPA, too.
>
> Right.  And so if this is the goal (and given that I also agree to
> "start slow"), why not have more :core ELPA packages?
> Say subr-x.el, as an example.  It has no dependencies.  Why
> not make it a :core package right now?  Then other ELPA packages
> could just rely on it.  Or pp.el, or any other util-rich package which
> has no dependencies.

This might work for subr-x and other elisp packages (in which case these
could just be added as dependencies to the effectively virtual package
compat).

On the other hand: If the functions are implemented in C, then they have
to be replicated some other way. And this doesn't just apply to
length{<,=,>}, string-distance, etc. but any function that might end up
using them down the call stack.

In principle, these two approaches can be merged, but I have the
impression that this would be more complicated

--
        Philip Kaludercic