Re: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 18:22:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: juri@linkov.net,  larsi@gnus.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 16:41:34 +0200
>>
>> > Thanks, but I'd prefer a prefix command, so that you wouldn't need to
>> > prompt for the key sequence, but expect the user to provide it
>> > already.  For example, "C-h M-h s" would show the definition of the
>> > function or variable.
>>
>> I am sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean here. You would like
>> be able to type: C-u C-h M-h s, intead of C-h M-h s?
>
> No, I'd prefer not to be shown a prompt for another key.

Try the attached patch. It shows no prompt, so you can just type C-h M-h s and
it will pop source in another window. I don't have any feel of being "prompted".

>> The obivous alternative I see is to globally define help-mode commands
>
> Some of them, yes.
But that is extra work; this solution does it for free, and will work with
future commands in help-mode, if they get defined, no?

>> Maybe there is other way; but I am not aware of it.
>
> The other way is to have a prefix key "C-h M-h".

What is the difference and extra benefit? It is still "same typing"? It
effectively acts like a prefix key since it is executed in help-mode buffer; it
is same effect as putting help-mode-map on a prefix key. And one can rebind the
function to any key; maybe someone can find some easier to type shortcut than
C-h M-h? I am sorry but I probably just don't understand what you are asking
for.