Re: Shorthand variable named "elisp-shorthands" seems wrong

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Shorthand variable named "elisp-shorthands" seems wrong
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 03:08:19 -0700

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

>> I skimmed through the new manual section for reader shorthands today.
>> It seems to be a very nice feature, but I don't think it's quite right
>> to have the file-local variable for shorthands named `elisp-shorthands'.
>>
>> AFAIU, the only variables that are currently prefixed with `elisp-'
>> involve editing support for Emacs Lisp such as
>> `elisp-byte-code-mode-hook', et cetera.
>>
>> How about something like `read-shorthands' instead?  Thanks.
>
> No objections.

Naming is hard, and I don't want to bikeshed about this.

But consider that most current variables matching "^read-" has something
to do something to do with reading input from the user, IOW more with
e.g. "read-key" than "read".

Also, unlike "read-shorthands", "elisp-shorthands" immediately tells
even the most casual reader that this has something to do with ELisp.