Re: Shorthand variable named "elisp-shorthands" seems wrong

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Shorthand variable named "elisp-shorthands" seems wrong
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:05:41 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>> Cc: joaotavora@gmail.com,  stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:02:57 +0800
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Which it is, don't you agree?
>>
>> I think I should rephrase what I said earlier.  I don't agree that it
>> applies to what currently uses the `elisp' prefix, which is currently
>> used by the likes of `elisp-byte-code-mode', and the `elisp-xref--'
>> group of variables.
>>
>> > Or how about elisp-symbol-shorthands?
>>
>> That still has the `elisp' prefix
>
> But this feature is specific to Elisp, isn't it?

The most common use of it is for programming Elisp, yes, like the most
common use of the Lisp printer that comes with Emacs is also for Elisp.
So after some thought, I would answer "no" here.  They can be used for
reading and printing things in other contexts where Lisp symbols are
treated as data.

But even if they aren't used in these ways, just the coherence to the
'print-*' variables and the existing 'read-*' variables is enough for
me.

João