Re: Shorthands have landed on master

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Shorthands have landed on master
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 23:58:39 +0100

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 11:40 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello all.
> >
> > Anyway, as you may have noticed, "Shorthands" have landed on master.
> > Please check out the NEWS entry and the manual section on "Shorthands".
> >
> > For the impatient, I leave with with a tiny animated gif.
>
> From what I see, elisp-shorthands only allows a shorter prefix to be
> mapped to a longer prefix, right? So this doesn't allow me to use cl-lib
> without the cl- prefix,

You need to have _some_ prefix.  It cannot be of 0 length.  Best
you can do is '-loop' and '-destructuring-bind', for example.

In fact, I lie.  You _can_ map 'loop' to 'cl-loop' explicitly.
'loop' is the shorthand.  'cl-loop' is still the symbol.
But you have to do it symbol by symbol.

That's because I've purposely turned off "freer" renamings in
favor of prefixes, simplicity and read speed.  But they are
not impossible.

> or remove the compat-- prefix from compatibility
> functions?

It's too late in the day for me to understand what you mean by
"remove" here :-)  You must first understand what shorthands are:
they are merely file-local aliases to symbols which keep their
full names.

Does this help in answering your question?

If it doesn't, provide a toy example with files and code in it,
and illustrate clearly what you would like to be able to write,
but can't (right now) Then maybe I can say if shorthands can
help you.

João