RE: [External] : Adding a binding for 'undo-redo'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Adding a binding for 'undo-redo'
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:25:33 +0000

> The main technical hurdle to adding this binding was the lack of a good
> binding, but Richard suggested C-? and C-M-_, which should cover both
> GUI Emacs and tty. This change doesn't change the existing 'undo'
> binding, so it's not going to break anybody's workflow. But it adds a
> key combination we can recommend to the users who are accustomed to
> separate 'undo' and 'redo' commands.
>
> WDYT? Should we add this to Emacs 28?

Why promote a default binding before users have,
themselves, actually been binding the command
for a while?

Just because we add a command, and it might be
useful, and it might get used, and users might
bind it, doesn't mean that it needs to have a
default binding.

A fortiori, if users haven't (yet) been binding
it for a while, or if we don't know they have.

The "technical hurdle" of finding a good binding
isn't the place to start.  The place to start is
to wait for users to use and bind it, and then
see how much a default binding would make sense.