Re: [External] : Adding a binding for 'undo-redo'

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [External] : Adding a binding for 'undo-redo'
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 03:13:15 -0400

   >    The "technical hurdle" of finding a good binding
   >    isn't the place to start.  The place to start is
   >    to wait for users to use and bind it, and then
   >    see how much a default binding would make sense.
   >
   > Here lies chaos.
   >
   > For coherent design, and logical keybindings, one cannot wait until
   > users have bound a key.  It is a good indication of what might be
   > used, but not what might make sense in the grand picture.

   There may not be a reason to always wait - agreed.
   ("One cannot wait" ever is clearly wrong, though.)

   It doesn't follow that every command should get a
   default key binding.  And how new the redo command
   is isn't really the question, on its own.

Nobody is suggesting that, and even if it was a suggestion it might
make sense -- if keyboards had more modifiers, more keys, that would
allow for a mapping of all commands to keybindings.

   The question really should be how useful the command
   is, in practice: How much are users using it, and how
   important would it be for it to have a default binding?

That is always a call someone has to make, and ultimatley what you
find useful, I might not.  There are many keybindings in Emacs that I
do not use.

The command and keybindings seem useful enough in my eyes, but I won't
use them.