Re: Dark mode on Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Dark mode on Windows
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:31:45 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> KDE and other window managers I use on GNU/Linux set themselves the
>> window decorations, not the application. Is GTK an exception to that?
>
> Yes, GTK+ 3.0 provides the ability to use a different style (such as
> Adwatia Dark) for window decorations (and GTK+ widgets in general).

That's the same I was saying about KDE.

> AFAIK that if the window does not have client-side decorations, it is
> automatically converted to use them.

Emacs has no client-side window decorations, right? More specifically,
it does not sets the background of the title frame.

>> Supporting ancient OSes is not a requirement for accepting patches that
>> implement new capabilities.
>
> IIUC, this does not just implement new capabilities, but will prevent
> Emacs from working at all on older systems.

False. Emacs has lots of features that don't work on old systems. Emacs
runs on those systems with those features disabled.

>> Of course it doesn't work on "slightly old" versions of Windows, because
>> them lack the feature, as the OP implicitly informs us when he says
>> "Windows 10 has..."
>
> Yes, but the function is not dynamically loaded.  This will cause symbol
> resolution failures on older systems.

This can be fixed, Emacs already does that on lots of places, moreso
when it runs on Windows.

>> Why such discouraging review?
>
> I wasn't trying to discourage the OP, just to help.

That was not the tone I perceived from here.