Re: Dark mode on Windows

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Dark mode on Windows
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:02:21 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>>> KDE and other window managers I use on GNU/Linux set themselves the
>>> window decorations, not the application. Is GTK an exception to that?
>>
>> Yes, GTK+ 3.0 provides the ability to use a different style (such as
>> Adwatia Dark) for window decorations (and GTK+ widgets in general).
>
> That's the same I was saying about KDE.
>
>> AFAIK that if the window does not have client-side decorations, it is
>> automatically converted to use them.

> Emacs has no client-side window decorations, right? More specifically,
> it does not sets the background of the title frame.

What do you mean by background? If you mean the background of the
window, then I think Emacs sets that on X Windows.  See this part of
x_set_background_color in xfns.c:

      XSetWindowBackground (dpy, FRAME_X_WINDOW (f), bg);

What I was commenting on was that GTK+ provides the ability to change
the style of frame decorations on a per-GtkWindow basis.  See
gtk_window_set_titlebar and friends.

> False. Emacs has lots of features that don't work on old systems. Emacs
> runs on those systems with those features disabled.

But linking with dwmapi.dll _WILL_ prevent Emacs from starting on older
systems.

> This can be fixed, Emacs already does that on lots of places, moreso
> when it runs on Windows.

Which is not done in the changes made by the OP.

> That was not the tone I perceived from here.

Whatever tone you might have perceived, I assure you was a misperception
on your part.  I only made comments based on facts.