Re: Default for image-dired-main-image-directory

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Default for image-dired-main-image-directory
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:04:40 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> You say "not necessarily", but then proceed to describe details that
> actually agree with what I said.
>
> It is fine to provide such a feature, I'm just saying that XDG
> requires different directories, and so these two arrangements
> contradict each other.

Probably I misunderstood what XDG stadard describes. I have read the XDG
description at freedesktop.org [1]. My understanding is that XDG does
not provide any recommendations on the file naming and subdirectories
inside home, config, state, bin, data, runtime, and cache dirs. XDG only
prescribes using the listed dirs to store different types of data.

>From a Emacs package perspective, just following XDG is still not clear
enough.  Should all Emacs packages store data inside "XDG_DIR/emacs"
subdirectory or maybe "XDG_DIR/emacs/package-name"? What should be the
file names? The details I quoted are providing a possible clarification
about these kinds of questions, except that no-littering assumes
XDG_DIR=.emacs.d.

[1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Best,
Ihor