Re: Entering emojis

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:07:49 +0200

    >>> Why can't we just do that automatically?

    Eli> I don't know why the macOS font backend doesn't find this font in your
    Eli> case, it's something that should be investigated.

    Robert> I have a vague memory that thereʼs code in the macOS font backend
that
    Robert> will only allow color fonts if explicitly requested, and there
being a
    Robert> good reason for it. Iʼll trawl through my archives.

Yes, src/macfont.m:2419

          /* Don't use a color bitmap font unless its family is
             explicitly specified.  */
          if ((sym_traits & kCTFontTraitColorGlyphs) && NILP (family))
            continue;

which I asked Yamamoto-san about last year, and the response was:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-03/msg00520.html>

which does a good job of explaining *what* was done for the Mac port
(which is a separate port) but not why.

Anyway, if I delete the above, Apple Color Emoji is used for emoji.

Iʼd push it to emacs-28, but I have no idea of the repercussions.

Robert