Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 13:55:53 -0500

On 27 Oct 2021, dick wrote:
RS> We must not encourage people to use nonfree programs.

"We begrudgingly make emacs work under closed-source platforms like Windows,
OSX, but they are unjust."

I suppose this is no more or less defensible than all of U.S. foreign policy, of which I've been a longtime beneficiary merely by being a citizen. The proceeds from nonfree software have also sheltered and clothed me, and provided the leisure time required to write free software. So I guess I'm
rotten to the core.

There's a cult of personality at play here that the ten or so core developers feel obliged to respect. In that sense, your continued exhortations,
impassioned but illogical, are working spectacularly well.

It's not a cult of personality, it's a well-articulated and consistent philosophical position that many people here, not just the "ten or so core developers", respect and (to varying extents) agree with.

It's also a position that has been pretty openly part of the charter of this mailing list and this software project for a long time. You don't have to agree with it -- no one can force you to -- but there's no point coming to tango school and complaining that they're not teaching salsa. You're free to start your own school (i.e., fork, which includes making your own forums) if you want salsa.

Best regards,
-Karl