Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 11:43:49 -0400

> No, this summary is awful.
> The issue is that libc, the C standard committee, linux and most others are
> ignoring the unicode identifier security guidelines.
> Identifiers must be identifiable, but strings should not be touched.

What do those rules say about code like:

    int hi = 5;
    int שָׁלוֹם = hi;
    int hello = 10;
    int السّلامعليك = hello;
    myfun(שָׁלוֹם ,السّلامعليكم)

IMO this code is fundamentally valid: we should allow
programmers to write identifiers in their native tongue.

Does the security guidelines require override chars to force the
`, ` to be in LTR, so as to fix the ordering problem (and would the
result be more or less clear to someone familiar with those RTL
scripts ;-0 )?

        Stefan