Re: Unicode confusables considered harmful

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables considered harmful
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:03:03 +0200

> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 19:53:14 +0100
> From: Vasilij Schneidermann <mail@vasilij.de>
>
> It's been more than a hundred messages and they all talk about
> reordering characters, not Unicode confusables. Which kind of surprises
> me because disabling bidi is an easy workaround for 95% of the world
> population not knowing RTL languages.

Disabling bidi in Emacs is asking for trouble because one cannot do
that and rely on the display engine to still work correctly in all
cases.  Bidirectional support is nowadays hardwired into the display
engine and cannot be disabled completely.

> Any thoughts on how the uni-confusables package could be extended and
> used to detect suspicious identifiers?

Please try the new command highlight-confusing-reorderings (available
on master), it is supposed to be the way to detect suspicious
reorderings without falsely flagging any legitimate ones.  (I can
easily understand how mentioning it could drown in the sea of the
other messages in this thread; sorry about that.)