Re: Unicode confusables considered harmful

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables considered harmful
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 15:29:01 +0200

> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:10:15 +0100
> From: Vasilij Schneidermann <mail@vasilij.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > That's supposed to be the subject of uni-confusables in ELPA, I think.
>
> That may be, but the package does nothing besides setting up a new
> character table (see the initial message).

Hmm... I thought it did more.  So I guess it has to be extended to
provide some facilities based on that table, and perhaps also based on
other character information.

> > If uni-confusables doesn't do its job well enough, please submit bug
> > reports.
>
> It wouldn't hurt to have some discussion first what exactly the package
> is supposed to do.

Fine, let's have it.  Perhaps you or someone else would like to
propose a set of APIs for dealing with these issues?  That'd be a good
start, I think.

> Considering there isn't agreement on how the bidi situation is
> handled, I doubt there will be an obvious solution for confusables
> either.

Let's see what we want it to do, before talking about solutions.  I
wouldn't expect it to be hard to reach a consensus on confusables.
Implementation is another matter...