Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 11:27:33 +0000

I think the point that being made was that TUTORIAL.he demonstrates the importance of these control characters in documents mixing characters of different directionality, of which the Emacs tutorial is one, and source code another.

And as such, that these characters are important for users who speak RTL languages and wish to comment their code using those languages.

If it is ok for people to comment their code in Chinese, why make it difficult for speakers of another important language, such as Hebrew or Arabic?

I never ever said or thought that these characters are unimportant, or that it would be okay to make it difficult for speakers of Hebrew or Arabic to comment their code in their native language. I only suggested to make these characters stand out by default, and only in source code files, given that they have potential security implications. Just like we make no-break spaces, thin spaces, hair spaces, and so forth, stand out. That doesn't make the life of those who would like to comment their code in their native language more difficult. Even more so if it transpires that these characters are in fact used rarely, even by those who use RTL languages in source code files, which is why I asked to see a real-life example of such a use.

See again the attached screenshot of TUTORIAL.he.