Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 15:25:48 +0200

> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 11:34:06 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: cpitclaudel@gmail.com, stefan@marxist.se, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>     db48x@db48x.net, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, yuri.v.khan@gmail.com
>
> >> From a theoretical point of view, that's correct.  From a practical
> >> point of view, if these controls characters are only found in 0.01% of
> >> the files that are hosted on, say, GitLab, and given that these
> >> controls can have a dangerous effect, it is reasonable for an editor to
> >> make them stand out.
> >
> > Since when is it OK to flag characters that are used very rarely? What
> > would be the sense of doing that?  Should we perhaps flag all the
> > Egyptian hieroglyphs for the same reason?
>
> The answer is above: "given that these controls can have a dangerous
> effect".

But they don't.  Not more than just using RTL characters within LTR
text would.  Just revisit the example posted by Stefan (which I
slightly modified to be more realistic):

      myfun("שָׁלוֹם" ,"السّلامعليكم");

Which string does this function call pass as the first argument, and
which as the second one?

> There's no reason to put a traffic sign in the middle of a forest.

Exactly.  And flagging those characters when they are used
legitimately is doing precisely that.