Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 11:34:06 +0000

From a theoretical point of view, that's correct. From a practical point of view, if these controls characters are only found in 0.01% of the files that are hosted on, say, GitLab, and given that these controls can have a dangerous effect, it is reasonable for an editor to make them stand out.

Since when is it OK to flag characters that are used very rarely? What would be the sense of doing that? Should we perhaps flag all the Egyptian hieroglyphs for the same reason?

The answer is above: "given that these controls can have a dangerous effect". There's no reason to put a traffic sign in the middle of a forest.

Anyway, I think it is time to abandon all hope.

It would be a shame if we abandoned all hope to solve this issue in a good way.

That was a sentence for myself.

I, for one, don't abandon hope in this matter.

I know ;-)

bidi-find-overridden-directionality will be extended soon to find the problematic text in the examples from that paper.

Let's then hope it will it be called from prog-mode.