Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 23:32:30 +0000

There is a danger when, because the source code contains invisible control characters, the programmer sees something on their screen, and the compiler sees something completely different.

You mean there is a special kind of danger coming from the invisible control characters because they can make code render unexpectedly even though all the rendered chars are "familiar" (e.g. all-ASCII)?

That's a good point.

Indeed, that's what I mean. Or rather, that's what the authors of the "Trojan Source" paper mean. And given that the legitimate uses of these invisible control characters in source code are exceedingly rare (I still haven't seen a single real-life case), making them visible by default makes sense. Just like we make no-break spaces visible by default.