Re: New key binding syntax

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: New key binding syntax
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 06:32:30 +0100

Le jeudi 4 novembre 2021, 03:33:58 CET Richard Stallman a écrit :

>   > What wasn’t that ever normalized/documented? it always seemed to be
>   > that “kbd” was the standard way of specifying keystrokes… was it
>   > just informal?
> It was a convenient way of specifying key sequences -- never more than
> that.

oh ok, so switching to being compatible/displaying like something more
standard and widespread such as “Ctrl+X Ctrl+C” (or shorter C+x C+c)
wouldn’t be out of question?

>   > I always wondered: if one day emacs was to allow to gracefully
>   > support
>   > key-chords [0] (that is, using any key other as a “modifier”, so
>   > that you could press a and b at the same time and it would be a
>   > special keystrokes, which makes expressivity of keystrokes increase
>   > factorially with length instead of exponentially), at least in
>   > certain configurations.
> That sounds nice, but using non-modifier keys as modifiers has an
> inherent problem: those keys are supposed to do rollover.
> If you press a, and while holding it down, press b, that is supposed
> to mean a followed by b.

isn’t that specific to the terminal then? isn’t there some (maybe lower
level) way of distinguishing key presses and key releases?

> To make that count as "b modified by a", we would need to change how
> the keyboard handles the a key.

it seems to use some dirty hacks not to have to modify the way keyboard is
managed, by using some small timespan between keypresses, actually that
could as well be used for a different thing: triple-SPC and double-SPC for
hitting some key (such as space) many times successively rapidly, just
like double-mouse-1 and triple-mouse-1

I understand gtk may not support this but I guess something lower level
(at least SDL provides it) permits to guess it by distinguishing between
the key-down event and the key-up event.

>   > That feature (actually, dirty hack, for now, but the author consider
>   > emacs to be misdesigned apparently, according implementation notes)
>   > is even advertised on emacs’ webpage through the emacsrock serie
>   > [1]
>
> Sorry, I can't make sense of that.  What is "emacsrock"?  What does
> "[1]" refer to?  When you say "on Emacs' webpage", what exact URL do
> you mean?

oh damn I forgot the footnote! >< here it is:

http://emacsrocks.com/e07.html

Emacs Rock is serie of videos presenting some unique features/extensions
of emacs:

http://emacsrocks.com/ (it’s hosted on youtube and github but does
recommand to use youtube-dl instead (but says nothing about github, but
well, it works without js and the repos are meant as a read-only hosting
place so I guess it’s ok))

it is advertised on emacs main webpage that is gnu.org/s/emacs