Re: New key binding syntax

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: New key binding syntax
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 05:48:44 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Introducing `kbd' enabled us to support a new, incompatible
> syntax alongside the original syntax. If we decide now on
> a syntax that is not upward compatible with `kbd', we could
> support it using a new function, perhaps `key'.

Uhm, excuse my ignorance but why should we have so many?

You mention `kbd' and hints at a new "key" ... and in my
config files I have, e.g.

  (global-set-key "\C-ok" #'end-of-buffer)
  (global-set-key  [C-i]  #'new-message)

That is 3, would be 4, and I'm not sure I exhausted the list
even ...

So not a rhetorical question, why isn't there just _one_
representation in Emacs and then the outside world, be it the
WM or terminal emulator or virtual terminal or terminal
multiplexer or DE or Window System or OS - all that can deal
with it, and/or let Emacs deal with it any way they like?

Only from here, it would always look the same?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal