Re: Ligature support

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Ligature support
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 00:05:47 +0700

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 23:47, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> > Or the font could have a ligature for "ffi" -- do we want a variable
> > named "efficient" be displayed with that ligature?  I'd be surprised.
>
> Possibly, but probably not.  But I don't think people will choose to use
> fonts for programming that have fonts like that.  (Are there even any
> monospace fonts that have such ligatures?)

Andale Mono
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
Courier New
Cousine
DejaVu Sans Mono
FreeMono
JetBrains Mono
Liberation Mono
Nimbus Mono PS
Noto Mono
Noto Sans Mono
Ubuntu Mono

are some monospaced fonts that I’ve got installed on my machine and
that have ligatures “fi” and “fl”. And yes, Cousine is currently my
programming font of choice. And no, I wouldn’t like it to use the fi
ligature, because it’s drawn with a one cell advance, i.e. it will
both break alignment and disrupt reading pace.