Re: Problem with some new emoji in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with some new emoji in Emacs
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 22:16:55 +0200

> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 22:43:41 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I am delighted with the new built in feature of emoji.
>
> Until now I have always used `emojify-mode' which worked well.
>
> I am encountering a disturbing problem, this could be some error,
> maybe not. I cannot know.
>
> Here is the screen with new emoji feature:
> https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2021-11-13/Screenshot-2021-11-13-22:33:19.png
>
> When I turn on the emojify-mode then I get this problem here:
> https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2021-11-13/Screenshot-2021-11-13-22:33:36.png
>
> and I will try to insert it here:
>      3 🗂️ ║ Central Files
>      10  🖍️

Looks like emojify-mode is incompatible with Emacs 28 and later
display of Emoji.  It uses static compositions, whereas the built-in
Emoji support uses automatic compositions, which is a different
feature.  Does emojify-mode support Variation Selectors?  That's what
gives birth to those squares you see on the second screenshot.

Why do you need emojify-mode?  What does it do that Emacs cannot do
without it?