Re: Problem with some new emoji in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with some new emoji in Emacs
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 08:35:33 +0200

> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 23:49:35 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> When I use describe-char I can see that ✔ and ✔️ are same now on my
> screen but they don't activate

What do you mean by "don't activate"?

> so the first one I see smaller, second one emojified.

Are you sure this is unrelated to emojify-mode?  The second one
requests an Emoji-style presentation, the first one doesn't.

> In emojify-mode when I insert the char, it becomes automatically
> recognized.

What do you mean by "recognized"?

> I have closed this file, opened it again, and again I see difference
> between ✔ and ✔️ here visually, but describe-char tells me about
> different fonts used.

That's what should happen: the U+FE0F VARIATION SELECTOR 16 character
requests the preceding character to be displayed as Emoji.  So what
you see is Emacs 28 and later behaving as designed, and as the Unicode
Standard says it should behave.