Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Feng Shu
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:52:47 +0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> On GUI frames Emacs takes the width of each character in pixels from
>> the font that is being used.  So if you want each Chinese character to
>> take exactly 2 character cells of an ASCII character, you need to find
>> a pair of fonts that satisfy this relation.  Because the font used for
>> ASCII varies between users, and the font used for Chinese probably
>> varies as well, I don't think I see how Emacs can solve this problem,
>> because Emacs doesn't understand the significance of each font.
>
> What he is trying to say, is that the height of the mode line adjusts
> itself based on the height of the characters inside.
>
> So, if your modeline contains (because you have such a file open in a
> buffer):
>
>     汉语 PDF 样本文件.pdf
>
> Then it will display as taller than if it just contains:
>
>     PDF sample file.pdf
>
> I personally don't find it annoying, but it is a common complaint
> amongst Emacs users in China.

Yes, not only mode-line, header-line, tab-bar/line, minibuffer have this
problem too. when user user ivy or vertico, this problem will worse.
User will find mode-line will jump up and down when scroll ivy/vertico
candidates, depend have Chinese char or not.

What a pity is that we can not force ASCII char Height = Chinese char
Height, if we do, we will faced table like environment unalign problem.

That's why we need min-line-height feature.