Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:12:01 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> On GUI frames Emacs takes the width of each character in pixels from
> the font that is being used.  So if you want each Chinese character to
> take exactly 2 character cells of an ASCII character, you need to find
> a pair of fonts that satisfy this relation.  Because the font used for
> ASCII varies between users, and the font used for Chinese probably
> varies as well, I don't think I see how Emacs can solve this problem,
> because Emacs doesn't understand the significance of each font.

What he is trying to say, is that the height of the mode line adjusts
itself based on the height of the characters inside.

So, if your modeline contains (because you have such a file open in a
buffer):

    汉语 PDF 样本文件.pdf

Then it will display as taller than if it just contains:

    PDF sample file.pdf

I personally don't find it annoying, but it is a common complaint
amongst Emacs users in China.